The end to another academic term is quickly approaching… along with the stress of writing final exams. If you have to write exams and are feeling nervous, overwhelmed, and exhausted from studying, these are some useful tips from examtime to perform at your best on exam day.
The Night Before
You want to have your exam day planned out beforehand so you can focus on remembering the important information you studied.
- Check the time and location of your exam
- Set an alarm to wake up early
- Collect materials you will need to bring to your exam tomorrow
- Get a full nights rest (8 hours is recommended)
Make sure you start your day off right. If you’re feeling confident and refreshed before you write your exam, chances are you’ll perform better.
- Wake up early and prepare for your day (taking a shower can help your body wake up)
- Have a balanced breakfast (try to eat some fruit, for example, a banana)
- Grab your exam materials (remember to bring your ID, translators, etc. if required/permitted)
- Leave early (unexpected events happen all the time; you don’t want to be late)
Starting Your Exam
You have prepared for this moment. Focus your mind and get yourself prepared to ace this exam.
- Write your name on the exam paper and make sure you have all pages of the exam
- Read through the exam to get an idea of the content and length of each section
- Plan your time and focus the majority of your time on the heaviest weighted questions
- Start answering questions you feel most confident about (leave the challenging questions for last)
Finishing Your Exam
You’re almost done! Just a few more questions and you can leave feeling great.
- Ask for clarification or assistance if you don’t understand a section/question
- Pay attention to the time and pace yourself
- Review your work to ensure you answered all questions correctly
- Stay to the end of your exam period (review your work multiple times to catch silly mistakes)
- Hand in your exam feeling confident that you did your best work
You just finished your exam and can now move on with your day and enjoy the rest of the spring/summer!
I hope these tips were helpful and reduced your fear of writing exams. If you still have any concerns, feel free to post them in the comments or contact your institution’s help centre. Best of luck with your exams and the end of your semester!